Sunday, November 3, 2013

Gothic Romanticism: Hawthorne, Poe and Baudelaire


Gothic Romanticism - slideshows

In class we will be reading "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. When reading "Spleen" by Baudelaire note the similarities and differences between the American approach to Dark Romanticism as compared to Baudelaire's European approach. Need a little help? Check out some reading here and/or here.

READ: "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment"
READ: "The Fall of the House of Usher"
READ: "The Masque of the Red Death"

ANSWER ON YOUR BLOG: 
  1. There are many interpretations of “The Fall of the House of Usher”. One interpretation suggests that Usher’s nervousness and weakness are the results of Madeline Usher’s being a vampire. Using details from the story, write an analysis of the story that supports this interpretation.
  2. How do the Gothic fiction writers express—either directly or indirectly—a criticism of human nature. Explain what the writers criticize about human nature, and how they communicate this criticism to the reader. Do the writers have similar attitudes toward human nature? Explain.
Anytime you want me to check your progress comment below 
and I'll look at what you've been writing.


[The Father of Gothic Fiction: Edgar Allen Poe]

20 comments:

  1. Will you check mine please? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check mine please?? solaramartin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. underneath the video, the second "here" link is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HEY check mine thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Done! I changed my URL also:
    wibblywobblytimeywimeyenglish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote you a poem.

    Roses are red
    Foxes are clever
    I like your class
    let me get a good grade foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

    if you could check out my blog that'd be just great. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Hasty! I got my Gothic Romanticism blog done... Wanna be the best English teacher ever??? Then check it out!! emilywhitten1998.blogspot.com thanks lady!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Hasty, you should seriously come check mine out, and if you do david duchovny told me he would go on a date with you......
    http://boonea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright Ms.Hasty I'm almost there, just finished this part of my blog, please check it out and let me know what I need to fix.
    gracedow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Done, howeverrrrr I just had surgery Friday so im currently doing this at home on my pain drugs so youll have to be specific when you edit it because I cant think completely straight!!! And I think you owe me a thank you for doing this on my day off *insert sunglass emoji here* *insert smirking emoji here* http://sariashonors.blogspot.com/2014/11/hawthorne-baudelaire-and-poe.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mrs. Hasty. This is Rachael. I finished the analysis part of this post. If you have time could you check it for me? I am really not sure if you want more from this post or if there is something weird I need to fix so I would much appreciate a helpful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Mrs. Hasty, I'm finished with the Gothic Romanticism, it is ready for grading. Would you mind telling me how I did after you have graded it? thank you!
    tildie20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been meaning to mention this... your link to the fall of the House of Usher doesn't exist anymore... didn't know if you knew

    ReplyDelete
  14. I finished this assignment! kmmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Think i did it not 100% sure maybe 85% but can you still look please

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could you check my post, and let me know if this is good?
    http://thisisalamehonorsenglishblog.blogspot.com/2015/11/madeline-usher-is-not-vampire-fall-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm done. Could you please check my blog? http://meganfreilingerloveslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete