Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Southern Gothic Romanticism: "The Life You Save May Be Your Own" and "A Rose for Emily"


Southern gothic - how to create a free slideshow

After reviewing the notes for Southern Gothic Romanticism (hover over the notes to show the play and pause buttons so you can pause and read as many times as you like) read the two stories below.

READ: "The Life You Save May Be Your Own"

READ: "A Rose for Emily"

ANSWER ON YOUR BLOG: What is Southern Gothic Romanticism? How do the two stories and their authors exhibit Southern Gothic traits? How do these stories and their literature compare to Romanticism and Gothic or Dark Romanticism?

In “A Rose from Emily”, why do you think Miss Emily’s crime goes undetected until her death? Identify at least three contributing factors and support them with reference to the story.

Flannery O’Connor, the author of “The Life You Save May Be Your Own”, said that the hitchhiker Shiftlet picks up at the end ‘makes the story work.’ How do you think the episode with the hitchhiker does this?

WORDS TO KNOW
Irony (Situational, Verbal and Dramatic)
Like to learn about irony with irreverent humor? Click here. Want your irony in a more serious approach with a handy-dandy handout? Click here. Prefer your lesson on irony with sound? Click here.

And, because...well, um, who doesn't like an argument? Here's my favorite song about irony...or is it about irony at all? Argue with yourself as you listen:




Anytime you want me to check your progress comment below and I'll look at what you've been writing.

29 comments:

  1. Could you check mine out please? Thanks! solaramartin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please check out mine. Thank you. nrjb98.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Questions are on my blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you check mine please? thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummmmm I wanted to watch your video but it says it's blocked on copy right grounds so ummmmmm just so ya know

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hastyyyyyyyy please check my blog post for this part! Thank ya ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yo Yo Yo if you don't mind take a look at my finnneee peice of work over this. #delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. DID AND DONE. NOW CHECK IT. #BOWDOWNYOUPEASENT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Mrs. Hasty. Could you please check the posts I have done. My blogspot url is my 1st and last name. I would appreciate it, Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Lady!!!!!!!! My Southern Gothic Romanticism post is D.O.N.E!!! If you would check that out, I would be super happy:) emilywhitten1998.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am done with my southern gothic post. please check. hashblog26.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my Southern Gothic Romanticism post finished... would you care to check it? Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I added quotes two my other two posts as well... so if you could can you check them again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hasty, Check mine or I will ransack your classroom. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am absolutely positutely completely 100% done... that is until you tell me that I'm not done... in which case I will do the reconstruction necessary to reap me an acceptable grade.... I swear, really honestly just don't hurt me with your laser eyes of awesome-English-teacher-grammar-Nazi-dom please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://ginapoe.blogspot.com/2014/11/southern-gothic-romanticism-life-you.html

    Could you please check mine? thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have finished the Southern Gothic Romanticism part of the project, it would be much appreciated if you could check it out for me and tell me any corrections I need to make.
    gracedow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also I tried to watch the video, but it wouldn't let me???

    ReplyDelete
  19. http://sariashonors.blogspot.com/2014/11/southern-gothic-romanticism.html DID AND DONE

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mrs. Hasty! This is Rachael! Could you check my blog post for me? There is still a small piece I need to add it, but I will make sure I add it as soon as possible. Thanks! http://rachaelhonorsenglish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mrs. Hasty this is Rachael. I finished this blogpost. If you have time could you check it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Mrs. Hasty, I'm done with the Southern Gothic romanticism and it is ready to be graded. Would you please comment your thoughts after you have graded it? Thank You
    My Blog is tildie20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. finished Southern Gothic Romanticism, can you please check it?

    ReplyDelete
  24. can you check my blog out at " thehonorsblogofnicholas.blogstop.com "

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mine is ready to be graded http://donnieslblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm done. Could you please check my blog? http://meganfreilingerloveslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete