Monday, October 28, 2013

Romanticism: What is it? "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Swing Low Sweet Chariot"

WATCH: Below you will find three videos that briefly describe the Romantics, you may watch one, two or all of the videos or you may go back to your notes from previous units, but be prepared to recap and discuss Romanticism, especially in relation to The Scarlet Letter and "The Devil and Tom Walker".











READ: "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"

And, of course, Disney has an excellent (if not wholly accurate) version (Part I,  Part II, Part III and IV)!


Washington Irving's tale of the Headless Horseman is a classic Halloween tale. Strangely, at the time Halloween was not the celebrated holiday that we see today. When you read this story think about what actually happens to Ichabod Crane.

ANSWER ON YOUR BLOG: How does this story capture the imagination of readers today?

LISTEN: "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" Wallis Willis



ANSWER ON YOUR BLOG: How is this song about escaping the physical conditions of slavery? How is this song about religious hope and faith? How is this song reflective of its time period? How does it relate to today?

WORDS TO KNOW
Spiritual: Songs that developed among the slave population on the plantations – generally religious in nature, but often with double meaning relating to the desire for freedom from slavery.
Call and Response: The musical practice of a leader calling out a line of music (sung or played on an instrument) and others responding.

[Source]



31 comments:

  1. So am I supposed to respond to "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" or "Headless Horseman?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. the tale of the Headless Horseman is "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I listen to swing low sweet chariot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the questions. Used youtube for song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyZ128zVEr4

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will you look at mine please. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Stephanie, could you do me a huge favor and check this out for me that way I can get an amazing grade and be delicious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I made my blog its emileeannabell.blogspot.com. I also did the sleepy hollow thing if you could read it that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heyyy Steph, can you check mine purty please with some bacon on top! I'll love ya forever & ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Hasty can you check my Romanticism blog post, please?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Mrs. Hasty! Do you mind checking my post? pcookhse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Hasty! Can you check out my Romanticism post? emilywhitten1998.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. DONE DONE AND DONE!!! GO CHECK IT PWEASE. JUST KIDDING, I DONT EVEN NEED TO SAY PLEASE. SO GO CHECK IT. NOW. #IUsedQuotesThisTime

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, could you maybe possibly look at the words I've written Via blog?
    allforthegrades.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've completed the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, would you be able to take a look at it sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Salve! Quid agis hodie? Blog's ready :) :) :) :) Vale Magistra!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, I'm done with the Romanticism post. Can you check it, please? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey mrs. hasty, i am done with my romanticism, would you check it for me? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have finished the Romanticism part of the blog, would really appreciate it if you would check it out and let me know of anything I can do better on, thank you.
    gracedow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. EDITED IT http://sariashonors.blogspot.com/2014/11/sleepy-swinging-sweet-chariot-talking.html #CHECKITPEASENT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mrs. Hasty, do you mind checking the blog posts I made a while back?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm done. kmmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm done. Could you please check my blog? http://meganfreilingerloveslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm done with this.Can you check it out? http://honorstrash.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Done http://honorsenglishleo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete