Saturday, October 26, 2013

What is the Catch and Release Workshop Model?

From So What Do They Really Know? by Cris Tovani
Students do the majority of work in class by reading, writing and thinking during class. According to Tovani the workshop has four major components:
1] The Opening
Set the stage for the day: This will be conducted with a board question and broad general lessons for the unit.
2] The Mini Lesson
Direct Instruction for the whole class: This will cover key terms, literary terms and/or aspects of figurative language. Concepts every student must have to achieve the unit.
3] Work Time
Students practice the learning: Each student will have different things they need to work on completing and as they are working they can ask questions, address difficult aspects of the night's work or just use class time to complete the reading/projects.
Tovani has a couple of goals for this time:
  • As students work, I confer with individuals or small groups. Often my conferences are pretty short—about two to four minutes long. The purpose of conferring is twofold. I want to assess student learning and help them to build stamina. When I confer, I try to figure out what students know and what they need so they can continue doing the work on their own. My goal when conferring isn’t to “fix” students but rather to provide support and scaffolding so students can be the ones who engage in the critical thinking. Just like during the mini-lesson, I must be careful not to take time away from students’ doing the work. Conferring helps me help students stay on task so they can build stamina, skill, and endurance.
  • Catch-and-release occurs during the work time and can be either a planned or an unplanned part of the workshop. When I use the catch-and-release technique, it is because I have noticed a pattern of confusion in several students. Instead of repeating the teaching to each individual student, I temporarily halt the work time to quickly share a strategy or a piece of content that will benefit the class’s learning process. Other times when I use catch-and-release, I’ve anticipated places where students might struggle. In these cases, I model a way to negotiate the difficulty and then I release the kids so they have time to practice what I showed them. In either case, the catches are short, usually lasting only a few minutes.

4] The Debriefing
Gives students process what they've worked on in class. This can be a whole group activity like a focused free write or an exit slip or just a group conversation about the things they've learned that day.


  


12 comments:

  1. Hey Ms. Hasty, I have my blog up and running: http://etuchekov.blogspot.com/. Can't wait to start the flipped unit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS MICHAELA FRANOLICH. Did you ever get the assignments? I don't know if I shared them right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can't get access to any assignments: 1] i don't know your blog 2] you haven't shared them on your profile (privately or otherwise), 3] you haven't emailed me the links...try any of those options. thanks, michaela! :)

      Delete
  3. Hey can you look at my blog? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished my blog, I was wondering if you could look at it. I also put the project on the blog. I will stop by tomorrow and give you the action figure. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ms. Hasty! ... I finished one of my posts the other day and have been working on others but I didn't know if you have seen it? I shared it with you I think but I just want to make sure I did it right and you got it before I share the others. It would be great if you could comment on it if you have time:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MINES ALL DONE PLEASE LOOK AT IT: angelicarenova.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finished: julie3nglish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, this is just an idea, buutttt It might be a cool addition to the "flipped classroom" if maybe you added a post, that became a comment thread where people could use it simply for the purpose of questions for you, and if you couldn't answer at a certain point, it would allow other students to answer while we are all at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much for providing important information. All your information is very valuable to me.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete